Canada Welcomes You
Home Our Services Permanent Visas Temporary Visas Fast Track to Canada Contact Us About Us
Temporary Visas
Visiting in Canada
Working in Canada
Studying in Canada
Temp. Resident's Permit
Contact Us
Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council
Carolyn Mahon is a member in good standing with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council.

Disclaimer: the information included on this website is intended to be of a general nature and does not constitute legal advice.
Plan your visit before coming to Canada

To visit Canada you will need:

a valid passport, proof of your identity or other travel documents:
a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) if you are from one of these countries;
a letter of invitation may be needed
a medical examination might be needed if you are seeking entry to Canada for more than six months and have lived in certain designated countries for more than six months in the preceding year before you seek entry to Canada.
Health insurance should be arranged before arriving. Canada does not pay for hospital or medical services for visitors.
The Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate in your home country can provide further information on what you will need before coming to Canada.

What to expect when you arrive in Canada

Tourists are usually admitted for a period of six months but the length of time you are allowed to stay in Canada will depend on whether you meet the requirements for admission to Canada.

When you arrive at a Canadian port of entry, an Officer of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will ask to see your passport or travel documents. The officer will ask you a few questions. The officer will confirm that you meet the requirements for admission to Canada. This should only take a few minutes. The officer will then stamp your passport or advise you how long you may stay in Canada.

Will you be allowed entry to Canada?

All visitors must show that the purpose of their visit to Canada is temporary. Visitors must also be able to prove their ability to support themselves for the duration of their stay in Canada. If the CBSA Officer is not convinced that you intend to leave Canada at the expiry of your visit then you could be denied admission.

Other reasons that you may not be permitted to enter Canada can include having a medical or health problem or a criminal conviction. These areas are discussed further in our inadmissibility to Canada section.

Extending Your Stay in Canada

After you have been in Canada for a while you may decide you want to stay longer or change the terms and conditions of your initial entry as a visitor. This is certainly possible to do, but should be done before your current status as a visitor expires.

Ideally you should apply to extend or change your status at least 30-60 days before it expires. Sometimes this is not possible and you may find yourself in a predicament. In all cases whether on short notice or if a sudden change in your circumstances arises, Canada Welcomes You can help. Contact us now and we will make sure everything is done properly to extend or change the terms and conditions of your stay.